Farmers & Merchants recognizes the important role that agriculture plays in our communities and has been a long time supporter of our area farmers and agricultural businesses. At the same time, Farmers & Merchants has been instrumental in facilitating the growth of the communities we serve through commercial development, consumer lending and community projects.
On July 9, 1938, a new charter was issued and the name was changed to Farmers & Merchants State Bank. Founded by Mr. N.E. Kelley and operating under a charter dated May 2, 1934, the Farmers & Merchants National Bank opened its doors on May 4, 1934 on the Northwest corner of the Winterset square.
The former First State Bank of Adair County located in Orient, Iowa was acquired on August 10, 1938. Also acquired on that date was the J.F. Johnston Bank of St. Charles, Iowa.
The Farmers & Merchants Bancorp was formed in 1984 and became the controlling stockholder.
On April 28, 1980, Farmers & Merchants Motor Bank was opened for business in Winterset.
In 1994, a new branch was constructed in Orient. The prior building was dedicated to the City of Orient to be used as a museum.
To meet the needs of a growing community, a new full service branch was built in St. Charles in 2007.