Debit & ATM Card Security Tips
Treat your debit/ATM card like cash!
- Always keep it in a safe and secure place. Contact Farmers & Merchants State Bank immediately if your card is lost, stolen, or if you suspect unauthorized use. Call 515-462-4242 during banking hours or 1-800-554-8969 after banking hours.
- Never share your PIN number with anyone.
- Your PIN number should never be kept in the same place as your debit card or written on your debit card.
- Avoid using common PIN numbers. Never use a number that would be in your wallet such as a birthdate, address, or phone number.
- Do not send your card number via email as email may not be secure.
- Do not give out your card number out over the phone unless you initiated the call.
- If you have forgotten or would like to change your PIN number, please bring your debit card to the Main Bank.
- If you receive a replacement card, destroy the old card. This applies to all credit cards.
- Destroy all unused cards.
- Purchase from merchants you know and trust.
- Online look for secure websites that use HTTPS:// an icon with a closed lock, or a highlighted green bar in the website URL.
- Completely log off after making your purchase.
- Destroy your receipts when no longer needed.
At the ATM...
- Look for signs of tampering. Thieves sometimes place skimmers over the card reader and capture card information.
- Use ATMs that are well lit.
- Beware of shoulder surfing. Cover keypad with other hand to prevent other people from viewing your PIN number.
- Make sure you complete your transaction before you leave the ATM.
- Remember to take your debit/ATM card with you after you complete your transaction.
NEW F&M State Bank branded mobile app! Learn More
Internet Explorer 11 is outdated. For improved security and optimized performance we highly recommend upgrading your browser. ChromeFirefoxEdge